29th April 2019
This term we will be exploring the topic ‘What Makes Cornwall Special?’ Building upon the children’s ideas, we will be talking about where we live in the U.K and finding Cornwall on a map, We will read the story of ‘Sharing a Shell’ by Julia Donaldson and explore story writing. The children are really keen to learn about beaches in Cornwall and what you can find there. We will also plant our peas and tomatoes that the children have grown and write growing diaries, instruction writing, labels and lists. We are excited to see where our learning will take us and are looking forward to a busy term and spending lots of time in our outside area.
This half term we will be consolidating all of the letters and sounds we have already introduced this year.
We are continuing our focus on blending words for reading and segmenting for spelling and we are working towards the children being able to write their own independent sentences. The children will continue to work on correct letter formation and pencil control. Your help practising these skills at home would be greatly appreciated.
We will be working with numbers 0-20 this half term. This will involve counting and ordering them, finding a total of two groups, 1 more and 1 less, doubling, halving and sharing. We will also be using everyday language to talk about position and distance and will be doing lots of problem solving.
During the warmer months it is really important that the children come to school with a named sun hat and sun cream already applied. We can then support the children to apply their own sun cream at lunchtime. You can leave a named sun cream at school or take it home at the end of the day. If you would like your child to wear sandals, please could they have closed toes and be able to run in them? They can be of any colour.
Morning Bread Donation
Thank you for the bread and butter donations we received last term. We would like to request a single contribution of £1.00 per child this term to cover costs.
- Book bags must be brought to school each day; please check your child’s book bag as this is where we will put any letters or important information.
- Please also ensure your child has their sound book and reading book with them every day.
- Please name all clothing and personal possessions.
- Please let somebody know if someone different is picking up your child at the end of the school day.
- Please ensure that children have their PE kit and waterproof clothing at school at all times.
- Please ensure that children have a coat at school every day.
If you have any queries, concerns or anything you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to come and see us.
Mrs Thomsett Mrs Moore