Welcome to Year 4!
Our teacher is Mrs Elliot and Mrs Ticehurst is our main teaching assistant. Miss Parsons also works with us on a Friday.
This term we will be finding out about the Cornish coast and the animals and plants that live here. If you would like to know more, click on the project map link below. Please check this page regularly for more news and photos of our exciting learning!
Home Learning Opportunities
- Survey your family to find out what they think makes Cornwall special.
- Look out for coastal features when you visit the beach. Can you see any signs of erosion?
- Go rock pooling.
- Carry out a beach clean with your family.
- Write a poem about the sea.
- Make a sculpture using recycled plastic.
- Go for a walk. How many habitats can you spot along the way? Can you identify any of the creatures that you find?
- Amaze a relative by reading to them on the phone or over Facetime.
- Keep learning those times tables!
Children in Year 4 should be reading regularly either on their own or with an adult. Little and often is the best recipe for reading and we would hope that all children are reading a range of texts that spark their interest. If you have a reluctant reader, try making reading time a treat! Here are some ideas that might help you fire up their enthusiasm:
- Drink hot chocolate while you read.
- Read some poetry (there’s loads online e.g. www.poetry4kids.com)
- Read under a blanket.
- Take it in turns with your child to read a page each (or a word or sentence each).
- Read in the dark with a torch.
- Ask them to investigate something online and read the information on the web pages back to you.
- Read in an unusual place (e.g. outside, behind the sofa, lying on the floor, under the covers).
- Let them to share their favourite picture books with someone new.
- Put subtitles on their favourite television programme or YouTube video.
- Read in a silly voice.
In year 4 we endeavour to know ALL of our timetables by the end of the year!
Here are some links to help you:
If you have any questions, queries or problems at any time please feel free to pop in after school or arrange a meeting.
Below is a list of common exception words.
For more information on the curriculm please use the link below: